Company name : Valeo Systèmes Thermiques
Theme of the project: New thermal comfort management strategies for future vehicles
Valeo is an automotive supplier, partner of all manufacturers in the world. As a technological company, Valeo offers innovative systems and equipment that enable the reduction of CO₂ emissions and the development of intuitive driving. The Group also supplies spare parts to car manufacturers and independent aftermarket players. The Group’s innovation strategy aimed at reducing CO₂ emissions and developing intuitive driving has enabled it to anticipate new market demands and reinforces its profitable growth momentum. The new Valeo is more technological, more innovative, more dynamic and more profitable.
Description of the project context:
Automotive mobility will undergo a profound change in the coming years: electrification and environmental constraints, driving automation, a shared and connected mobility will transform passenger habits and expectations. The vehicle is no longer just a means of transport but becomes a living space in its own right, open to socialization, work and leisure.
In this context, the benefits of comfort and well-being on board will become differentiating factors more and more appreciated by the manufacturers.
The management of thermal comfort, as well as related psycho-physiological conditions such as stress or tiredness, is a major component of comfort in vehicles. Especially since it is the second consumer of energy after driving. On the so-called “premium” vehicles and more broadly in the form of options, it is necessary to be able to offer a comfort that is both individualized and personalized, with a double challenge: to reduce its impact on consumption and to adapt it to every context of use.
The objectives of the innovation project:
The project aims to develop a new approach to passenger comfort in summer by using a network of “smart” aerators at different points in the passenger compartment. Thanks to a greater proximity of the passengers, these aerators will be able to generate localized thermal sensations with a lower energetic cost. They must also adapt more easily to a change in the position or posture of passengers, particularly in the phases of delegated or autonomous driving.
The original characteristics of these aerators will have to satisfy three specific functions:
- High compactness for easy integration into various areas of the passenger compartment, such as pillars or skylights, as well as strong attention to the exterior, especially to ensure durability and avoid embarrassment for passengers.
- A motorized ventilation nozzle combined with a specific aeraulic design to control the shape of the air jet, between a highly directional “spot” mode and a very open “diffuse” mode. These different modes and the transitions between modes will have to be optimized to minimize the pressure loss and the associated airflow noise.
- A motorized ventilation head to orient the direction of the air jet, in site around a horizontal axis to fit different sizes or area of the body, and in azimuth around a vertical axis to fit different configurations of the cabin. The silence of the actuators will be a sensitive point here.
- The stakes and constraints of the project address, as a priority, certain technological bricks or specific expertise:
- Ultra-compact, silent, precise and responsive actuators and kinematics for motorizing the orientation of aerators and modulating the shape of the air jet
- Aeraulic design of the ventilation nozzle, relying partly on CFD simulations, with movable elements making it possible to vary the shape of the jet (directional / diffuse) while minimizing the pressure loss and associated airflow noise
- Use of materials and methods of realization allowing the implementation of components with dimensions and reduced dimensional tolerances, and surface conditions peculiar to the parts of aspect
Objectives of the collaboration:
- ☒ Technical and commercial collaboration associated with a R&D cooperation contract
- ☒ Investments – M&A : possible according to the opportunities
Important elements to be included in the collaboration proposal:
- Activities & References / Status & Organization / Financial structure of “tech. provider”
- Technical elements and references justifing and clarifying the capacity of the “tech. provider” to meet the objective or the constraints of the project.
- Drafting of a study plan and/or PoC proposed as a first step of cooperation.
List of selection criteria:
- Demonstrated expertise or know how of the organization to respond to project challenges or constraints.
- Motivation, reactivity and solidity of the organization to invest in the project.
Date of physical meetings:
November 2018 (to be confirmed).
Ecole Polytechnique – DEI / Drahi Center – Valeo Xcubator
Avenue Gustave Coriolis
91128 Palaiseau cedex
For more Information, contact:
Edouard Dhenain – Tel : +33 6 08 23 68 86 – [email protected]