Company: Knauf Industries
Name of the Project: Alternative steaming system for expanded Polypropylene
Knauf Industries, a division of the Knauf Group, is globally recognized as a preferred partner for major sectors of the industry such as agri-food, electrical appliances, automotive, industry, housing and health. Knauf Industries is a specialist in the packaging and production of technical parts, and is a market leader in molded plastics (EPS, PPE, etc.), plastic injection molding and thermoforming.
Present on all continents, with 36 production units and nearly 1,400 employees, Knauf Industry have a particularly efficient R & D center at the service of innovation.
The KNAUF Group
- 18 500 collaborators
- 5 billion turnover
- An establishment in 35 countries
- 1st European producer of plaster
- 3rd producer of mineral wool
- 1st world processor of expanded polystyrene
- 3 activities: Building (dry construction) Insulations, Plastics
Our speciality: Shaping plastics
Our mission: To create added value
The ambition of Knauf Industries is to remain an innovative and reliable leader. Faithful to the Group’s deep values, Knauf Industries supports the success of its partner clients daily.
Context of the project:
In the process of manufacturing PPE (Expanded Polypropylene) parts, the Knauf Industries Group wishes to innovate on the currently used EPP parboiling process, an important step whose main mission is the drying and stabilization of the molded parts.
The main constraints of the process currently used are:
- The long duration of the parboiling process
- The important operating costs (energy consumption for the heating in the oven)
- Investment in drying ovens
- The size of the ovens.
The aim of the project:
The aim of the project is the development of an alternative solution capable of producing the same effects as the oven device (drying and stabilization of parts) for example via:
- The reduction of the parboiling duration,
- The reduction of investments of the necessary technical solutions
- The development of a more efficient process
- The development of a process using less energy
This solution will increase the productivity of polypropylene PPE parts manufacturing operations, reduce the time-to-market and lower production costs while ensuring the conformity of the parts delivered to our customers.
Important elements to be included in the proposal:
The proposal should include :
- A detailed description of the proposed alternative proposal
- The main impact in relation to the process currently used
- A description of the advancement status of the proposed innovative solution
- A history of the experiments and contexts of tests already carried out.
The provisional planning of the collaborative course:
- Communication to innovative organizations : 16 07 2018
- Deadline for receipt of applications :14 09 2018
- Selection of applications: 21 09 2018
- Date of meeting : 28 09 2018
- Date of communication of the selected candidates for a second interview : 12 10 2018
Presentation of the Innovation Committee
For further information, feel free to contact: Edouard Dhenain, [email protected]